5/04/2009

A Lovely Bunch of Coconuts

Coconuts are one of the fruits (nuts?) of the garden I don't do anything with. Bob used to open them for me, then I'd grate the meat and make coconut cream or use the toasted shreds in my homemade granola. No more. I'd like to, coconut milk or cream is also wonderful in curries, but there's only so much time and energy available. Thus, an alternative is necessary. Some nice Tongans came over and dealt with the lovely bunches of coconuts. Three trees full. We don't want those heavy suckers falling on someone's head. The Tongan gentleman took home some of the green ones, told me he feeds them to his chickens.



He made it look so easy. Walking up that tree, then whack, whack, whack. Part of the cost of living in Hawaii.

2 comments:

Foodiewife said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Ah, you live on the Big Island. I was born at Tripler Army Hospital, Oahu in 1955 (I feel as old as dirt). We were just in Kauai last October-- magical. Lovely.

What a diverse woman you are with your talents and hobbies...some nice recipes, too.

Blessings to you, Sister.
In Christ's Love,
Debby

Claudia said...

Thanks for the encouragement. I just read about the Cook the Books Club and will read the next one & see what we come up with.