7/07/2011

Fried Green Tomatoes and Salad of Arugula, Avocado, BBQ Chicken Slices and Gorgonzola


I didn't even get everything in that title.  This salad also had romaine and radishes.  Altogether a nice combination, especially with the side of Fried Green Tomatoes.  I loved that movie, and have been (in the back of my mind - the food file) wanting to give them a try ever since.  So, humming along the produce aisle the other day, I came upon the fruit and veggie guy unloading tomatoes into a bin, and there were these green ones in with the ripe reds.  Why would anyone pick tomatoes that green, unless for this dish?  Tell me that.  Tomatoes should ripen on the vine, shouldn't they?  Am I naive?  At any rate,  you now have the back story on my supper.  I'm sure you all were curious.


As for our salad,  I had  left-over Teriyaki Chicken, since Bob has been Barbecuing almost every weekend, some fresh arugula and Gorgonzola, which sounded like the perfect accompaniment for our fried side.  You do not need to buy prepared barbecue sauce.  I am going to divulge my secret Teriyaki Chicken recipe here (this is almost a staple in Hawaii).  We'll start with that.  Cooked chicken is not all that photogenic however, so just imagine the scent and flavors coming off your grill.  Unbeatable really. 


Chicken Teriyaki 

Marinate 8 chicken thighs, with skin and bone please (though I usually trim off excess, dangling skin or fat) for at least an hour, in the following mixture:

1 cup naturally brewed soy sauce
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1 thumb fresh ginger, peeled and minced
3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons Mae Ploy  Sweet Chili Sauce
1 teaspoon Chinese 5 Spice
2 teaspoons sesame oil
freshly ground black pepper to taste

You can also baste with the marinade while barbecuing.  Be sure not to have your coals, gas, wood too hot.  You don't want black on the outside and raw inside.

The Salad Dressing

2 tablespoons Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup whole milk yogurt
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon lemon juice (or white vinegar)
salt to taste

Fried Green Tomatoes

From Simply Recipes

If you can find it, use fine white cornmeal, which is the primary cornmeal used in the South. (I used corn flour) Buttermilk adds flavor and tang, but is not strictly necessary.  I used a mix of yogurt and milk.

    * 3 medium, firm green tomatoes
    * Salt
    * 1 cup all-purpose flour
    * 1 Tbsp Cajun seasoning (optional - I used my Zahtar Mix)
    * 1/2 cup milk or buttermilk
    * 1 egg
    * 1/3 cup cornmeal
    * 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
    * 1/4 cup peanut oil or other vegetable oil

Cut unpeeled tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices. Sprinkle slices with salt. Let tomato slices stand for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, place in separate shallow bowls: the flour and Cajun seasoning (if using); buttermilk and egg; and bread crumbs and cornmeal.

Heat the oil in a skillet on medium heat. Beat the egg and the buttermilk together. Dip tomato slices in the flour-seasoning mix, then buttermilk-egg mixture, then the cornmeal-bread crumb mix. In the skillet, fry half of the coated tomato slices at a time, for 3-5 minutes on each side or until brown. Set the cooked tomatoes on paper towels to drain. These are fantastic with a little Tabasco, or a pool of that Mae Ploy hot sauce, as we did.

Yield: Serves 4 as a side dish.  Very yummy.  I am linking this post with Hearth and Soul Blog Hop, so be sure to look for lots of great recipes over there.

You probably know that using some of your tomatoes (if you are growing them) while green, is a way of getting more delicious variety from that crop.  Here we have fruit flies, which go after the larger size tomatoes.  So, the only ones I can grow without bagging each one, are cherry tomatoes.  But I'm growing zucchini with that idea in mind.   Every summer it seems there is more of that vegetable than anyone knows what to do with, however if a good number are used in the bloosom stage, well you get the idea.  I want to try stuffing squash flowers this year.  Something I've never eaten and want to.  Like those Fried Green Tomatoes.

5 comments:

Swathi said...

You made fried green tomatoes, that is what I was planning to make and end up with curry. looks delicious. The meal is fabulous as always.

Heather S-G said...

What an awesome, awesome meal! I can't wait to make some fried green tomatoes this summer =)

Quay Po Cooks said...

I have never fried tomato this way. Another new way to use tomato. Nice.

Anonymous said...

I love the movie, as well...! That dish sound delicious. I have never tried fried tomatoes like that, but it sounds like a great idea!

Bbq Salads said...

Thanks for the recipes here I have read many articles on the salad but this one have something which take only minutes of time. I don’t know if anyone can found this simple Caesar salad recipe. I will forwarded this to my friends who going to use it as a reference.

Bbq Salads