10/27/2016

Fish Wrapped with Leaves


 For some reason (Foodies will probably concur) I think this kind of thing is fun.  Breaks up the old cooking ruts.  Get a bunch of leaves, wrap up some fish with seasoning, and steam.  Those Asian bamboo steamers are great and come with several levels, so you can do lots or just other stuff at the same time.

I finely minced some kefir lime leaves, added ground "Grains of Paradise" (pepper will do) and salt.

Cut the banana leaf into two sections, about 10x12" or so each, set the fish on top (I used Ono, also known as Wahoo) then brushed the fillets with macadamia oil (olive would be fine), and patted on the seasoning.  Both sides.

Laid a pandan leaf, folded in half on top, then rolled it up and tied with another pandan leaf.  Or you could use cooking twine.  Hopefully, by this time your rice has almost finished cooking.

I had some tabbouleh left from the day before and got that out.

Now you get water boiling in the bottom of your wok, set the steamer on top with the lid on and let it steam about 5 minutes.


Easy.  However, if you don't have banana leaves, just use parchment paper, and if no pandan leaves, other herbs will do nicely.  Maybe crumble toasted bay leaves or fresh dill is good. Use your culinary imagination.


My inspiration (no particular recipe) was a new book, The Food of Thailand, with its beautiful photography and intriguing recipes, which I picked up yesterday at our local book store.  We only have two now.  I could go on a rant right about here on the proliferation of more and more drug stores, and the closing down of book stores, but won't.  Instead I'll be grateful for that little independent shop, where you can bring in books you no longer want, find you're not reading or using, and they take them and credit your account.  Mine had built up and I was able to pick up two books, while waiting between appointments.  Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child, which I've been wanting for the longest time - in stunning, new condition and the Thai cookbook as well, also in great shape.


A very simple, tasty and healthy meal, I served tabbouleh, with lots of fresh mint and parsley, on the side, or a nice pasta salad would also be excellent.  Blow your socks off flavors!  I'll share this with the folks over at Beth Fish Reads for her Weekend Cooking event.  Do stop over there and visit.


8 comments:

Beth F said...

Boy does that look good and healthy. I have a bamboo steamer basket ... I may have to give this recipe a try.

jama said...

I love those bamboo steamers but have never tried making fish in them. Your meal with the tabbouleh looks so light and nutritious. Wish we had an indie bookstore that takes trade-ins. :) I agree that it's sad there are so few real bookstores anymore.

Deb in Hawaii said...

I miss good bookstores! ;-) The fish looks delicious--with the tabbouleh it looks like the perfect healthy and tasty meal. I need to use my steamer basket more. ;-)

Margot said...

This is completely new to me but it looks like a fun food adventure. It also looks pretty yummy.

Carole said...

What fun! Have a great week. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

Mae Travels said...

You will really enjoy the Julia Child book! Some people think it's difficult but in fact everything is incredibly well-explained and illustrated!

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Molly said...

Looks delicious - and healthy! I'm not sure I'm brave enough to try the technique though...

eljaybee nuiguinea said...

That looks delicious!