5/25/2017

Warm Leek and White Bean Salad from River Cottage

 I've been enjoying dipping in and out of Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's  River Cottage Every Day, though really, it's only a "cottage" in the sense of those lovely, big estates of a bygone era, on the East Coast, humbly referred to as cottages by their owners.  He at least is out in the vegetable patch occasionally, (judging from photos in the book) working at his gardening as well as cooking.

This recipe for warm leek and white bean salad with mustard dressing was delicious and a perfect first course along with some fresh baked bread.  We must give some credit here as well to Tamar Adler's section on beans in An Everlasting Meal.  She was such an encouragement to me about something so basic.  After a run of bad experiences, due to the keeping ability of dried beans in Hawaii.  I tossed all of mine and have begun again, with small amounts of a select few, meant to be used rather soon.  They don't keep long in the tropics, and refuse to soften.  She takes such care with the preparation, and suggests making a big pot of them, enough  for several meals during the week.



That is what I did, instead of using a can of beans, as per the recipe. Soaked, fed nicely with garlic and herbs, cooked til plump and full of goodness. Highly recommended.


It looked like iceberg lettuce in the book photo, though he didn't specify, so I went looking for some organic iceberg, which is not all that easy, due to it's being out of favor at the moment.  I also added a bit of color in the form of small sweet red pepper and cherry tomato. The mustard dressing was great. A perfectly delicious combination of flavors.


 This post will be linked to IHCC (I Heart Cooking Clubs) to Beth Fish Reads for her regular Weekend Cooking event and to Deb's Souper (Soup, Salad and Sammie) Sundays.  Be sure to visit and check out some good food, and reading suggestions.

13 comments:

Emily said...

Yours looks colorful!! I made this earlier in the month, with canned beans - pretty tasty!

Unknown said...

I would probably skip the lettuce if the salad is warm. I don't like lettuce with warm dishes unless is added just before I'm going to eat it, e.g. a sandwich. I like lettuce cold and crispy :) but I love beans and leeks! so I will definitely try the rest of the recipe! Thanks for sharing it!

flour.ish.en said...

A bag of beans is a constant in my pantry. Didn't realize it could be an issue in tropical region. A dish like this has such versatility and can be enjoyed anywhere.

Beth F said...

This looks great! I just made spicy pinto beans (from dried beans) last night, so I'm in a bean kind of mood too. Oh and my library copy of An Everlasting Meal just became available, so I have that to read before I have to return it.

Carole said...

I must learn more about beans. Have a great week. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

Mae Travels said...

The temptation to use canned beans is great. For one thing, they require no forethought. A single can is enough for 2 people without a week of leftovers. Canned beans are still very inexpensive. AND cans last in any climate.

You are brave to tackle the dried variety!

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Claudia said...

Uh oh, Mae, you used the LO term. This is purposed preparation. Several meals were in mind when preparing the lovely beans. One night we had sausages with sauerkraut and beans, and another was minestrone.

The Candid Cover said...

I had no idea that it would be hard to keep dried beans in the tropics. It makes sense, though. I am glad that they turned out for you in the end.

ostwestwind said...

Fresh cooked beans are so much better, I use my slow cooker to do that. Glad you find your way.

Deb in Hawaii said...

I tend to store my beans in jars in the fridge here and try to use them fairly quickly. Much as I use canned beans for speedy meals, there is just nothing like a big pot of slowly cooked beans to enjoy. Like you I make a big batch and enjoy them in different ways all week.

I have had my eye on this salad because I adore leeks. It looks delicious! Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week too. ;-)

Zosia said...

I freeze my cooked beans with their cooking liquid in can-sized portions. This salad looks like a delicious way to use them.

Heather said...

the salad looks wonderful.

Kim said...

As a lover of beans, and mustard, this is very appealing to me!

Sorry to hear that storing beans in Hawaii is so troublesome. We have issues with humidity here in KY and is an issue with food storage.