12/05/2017

First Chapter - First Paragraph Tuesday Intros

I'm doing something new today - First Chapter ~ First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, which is hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, where bloggers post the first paragraph(s) or introduction of a book they are currently reading or planning to read sometime soon.


I have noticed some stunning beginnings in my reading years, though the books don't always live up to them. My contribution today is This Must be the Place, by Maggie O'Farrell.  I'm just into the second chapter, but it's quite good so far.


                   
The Strangest Feeling in My Legs
                            
Daniel
Donegal, 2010
                     
"There is a man.
     He's standing on the back step, rolling a cigarette.  The day is typically  unstable, the garden lush and shining, the branches weighty with still-falling rain.
     There is a man and the man is me.
     I am at the back door, tobacco tin in hand, and I am watching something in the trees, a figure, standing at the perimeter of the garden where the aspens crowd in at the fence.  Another man.
     He's carrying a pair of binoculars and a camera.
     A bird-watcher, I am telling myself as I pull the frail paper along my tongue, you get them in these parts.  But at the same time I'm thinking, Really?  Bird-watching, this far up the valley?  I'm also thinking, Where is my daughter, the baby, my wife?  How quickly could I reach them, if I needed to?"

Would you read on?  That is the question here.

The Publisher's blurb for a bit more info:

"Daniel Sullivan leads a complicated life. A New Yorker living in the wilds of Ireland, he has children he never sees in California, a father he loathes in Brooklyn, and his wife, Claudette, is a reclusive ex–film star given to pulling a gun on anyone who ventures up their driveway. Together, they have made an idyllic life in the country, but a secret from Daniel’s past threatens to destroy their meticulously constructed and fiercely protected home. Shot through with humor and wisdom, This Must Be the Place is an irresistible love story that crisscrosses continents and time zones as it captures an extraordinary marriage, and an unforgettable family, with wit and deep affection."

No comments: